THE “P” TALKS!
BY: Pilar Mateo
THE FILM INDUSTRY WORKERS, and those behind the organization, known as the FILM ACADEMY OF THE PHILIPPINES (FAP) will be back!
On live TV, the Luna Awards will be broadcast live on UNTV on December 18, 2020 at 7 pm.
Have most of us forgotten? What is the FAP about?
Get to understand it. Embrace your Academy.
- The intent of EO 640-A was to widen the scope and influence of film industry workers through training, education, and recognition, which was laggard since FAP’s inception in 1981. No permanent funding were ever designated for FAP resulting in its seesawing presence within the industry. FAP is the voice and action arm serving the needs of the film industry worker through its representative guild.
- The sole source of FAP funds is from the yearly allocation from the Metro Manila Film Festival, shared with other government agencies and a private institution.
- The current vision is to restore the trust of the film worker that FAP will steer back to center in servicing their needs.
- Due to the current state of affairs with the pandemic, the current leadership of FAP have to place programs intended for 2020 and beyond on hold until they can be modified in compliance with new requirements of the IATC.
- FAP is making an effort in walking the talk when it comes to servicing the needs of the film worker, through…
A. Full recognition as a government agency with Permanent funding from the government.
B. Working with various institutions as a force multiplier so that the needs of every guild members are met in a timely manner.
C. Protecting the rights of the film worker through legislation.
D. Making education and training a top priority.
- The FAP is encouraging film workers who are not part of a guild to be a member of one accredited by it, but beware of false claims and prophets from within the industry as there have been reports of misrepresentation by some who had preyed on their own members in the past.
Continue to be a part of it!
And lest we forget, that it gives recognition to the great works of the actors and their peers.
THE LUNA AWARD.
Would you believe that there are some actors who do not know that the LUNA is the award that one receives from the FAP?
Others have mistaken it for another award.
The symbol. The trophy. Why LUNA?
“Tuwing sumasapit ang gabi, nahahalintulad dito ang pagdidilim ng sinehan hudyat ng pagbubukas ng palabas – para ihatid ang liwanag ng pelikula nito?
“At sa pagsapit ng dilim, una nating nakikita ang Luna, ang buwan upang magbigay liwanag kaagapay ang mga bituin ( mga manggagawa sa pelikula) na pumapaligid sa kanya.”
As aptly described by Peter Serrano, Director for Programs and Events of the FAP.
The FAP is comprised of a 5-man team: Director General Vivian Velez; Director For Communications and Business Development Ed Titanes; Finance Officer Manny Morfe; Office Administrator, Homer Salaguinto; and Serrano.
An exciting show and a nostalgic one , it will be hosted by ace comedian and director Dinky Doo, with performances by Isay Alvarez , Robert Seña, and Paolo Paraiso, together with guests Ynez Veneracion, Daiana Meneses, Harlene Bautista, Federico Moreno, Direk Arsenio Nick Lizaso through the services of direk Njel de Mesa’s NDM Studios and Fisher Mall.